Friday, November 19, 2010

Elephant bathing was not what I'd thought

Today we visited a lodge where elephants retired from the abusive work of the teak logging industry now earn their keep a much easier way, giving rides through the jungle to tourists. Dale and I shared a 50 year old elephant. The bucking, swaying ride on the saddle was giving Dale flashbacks to a childhood incident where he cartwheeled over - and then under - a horse. At the end of the ride, the attendant asked if we wanted to watch an elephant bathing, and offered one of us the chance to participate. I ended up with the job. I was picturing a hose and a scrub brush, Instead, the elephant walked down to the river, waded up to its eyes, and then proceeded to wash itself with river water it sucked into its trunk. I got drenched! I was laughing so hard I nearly coughed up a lung.

No comments:

Post a Comment